Friday, January 18, 2013

Let's Talk About Toys, Baby.

Ever since I talked about my resolutions for this year, I've had writer's block. Blogger's block? I don't feel qualified to call myself either, really. Mental block? Sure, we'll go with that. Suddenly, nothing seems interesting enough to write about. But, I don't want to fail at my resolutions in January (that's on February's agenda) so I need to write about something. Which brings us to this post. 

I was walking around Barnes & Noble the other day, because, for some reason, bookstores are calming and I needed some calming. I guess because they are like libraries and libraries are generally quiet. And all the parents out there know how much quiet time we get. Like, none. Sooo, I was walking around and I realized that they carry 2 of my favorite brands of toys, Melissa & Doug and B. Toys. And that's when I decided I would just tell you about some of my favorite kid's toys. Goodness knows we have enough of them in this house. Let me preface these toy suggestions with the fact that I know these are mass-marketed, widely-available toys and that there are plenty of awesome handmade, very cute toys on websites like Etsy. I hope to highlight some of those toys in the future, but honestly, we generally buy mass-marketed toys, let's be real. However, if you have a favorite from Etsy (or someplace similar) please feel free to share. 


Melissa & Doug Responsibility Chart

First up? Melissa & Doug! They have TONS of products. Really, they have a lot. Everything from food play to arts & crafts to puppets, it's a little of everything over there. My absolute favorites are their wooden products. They are so well-designed and wood toys just feel so pioneer days-ish. We are proud owners of at least 5 of their wooden puzzles. We have this one and this one that are perfect for K. The little pegs are great for those chubby little fingers to hold onto. We also have this one and this one that are a little more challenging for D. Plus, we own several of the big cardboard floor puzzles that we love. As a mom, I love them because it's a fun way to hang out with my rowdy 4-year-old that doesn't involve playing football or wrestling. Speaking of that rowdy 4-year-old, another Melissa & Doug product that we love is this responsibility chart. We got this chart, a little prematurely, when D was 2 years old. He loved playing with the magnets but didn't really understand the concept of it. It has been lying in wait for about a year now and I finally feel like we are ready to give it another go. Chores are in shown in words and pictures on the magnets and it will be easy for him to track his progress with the smiley face magnets. At 4 years old he's ready for, and craves, more responsibility. And a cute chart never hurts. 

So definitely check out all the great stuff over at Melissa & Doug. You can shop toys by age, by skill level or by price. I don't think it's possible to not love at least one thing on their site.


B. Toys Symphony in B.

Another of my favorites is B. Toys. B. Toys are the kinds of toys you actually don't mind being all over your house because they are pretty cool-looking. They are colorful but in a fantastic, earthy, modern way. I really just love looking at their toys. Is that weird? And their website is really cute, too. Ok, there. I'm done saying how cool and cute everything looks. On to the toys! K is a big fan of these cars. They are easy to hold onto and man do they go. These blocks are a god-send during the throw-everything stage. They have saved my face multiple times. I love this little doctor kit that D will be getting soon from his grandma. It comes in a nice little carry case that's easy to store when (if) I clean. I also have my eye on this awesome globe that lights up in the dark and plays authentic cultural music when you push each continent. So cool. And the Symphony in B., which won the Toy of the Year Award from Family Fun Magazine, looks like hours of musical fun. My kids love music and...ok, I'm not going to lie, I want this toy for myself. You conduct your own symphony, people. Uh, yes please. And bonus, every time you buy a B. toy they donate $.10 to Free The Children. What's not to love?

Wow, that was way longer than I expected it to be and it took me a really long time to write. I have a new respect for people that review things. All the thinking and the links, it's exhausting. Now go buy some toys!

No comments:

Post a Comment